My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Boom Boats, Fraser River, BC, Canada



Boom boats are used in
the forest industry in British Columbia, Canada
for sorting logs right in the water.
They act like miniature tug boats,
are highly maneuverable, and
a total joy to watch
darting and zipping
amongst enormous logs, sorting them into
booms, which in turn are towed by huge tugboats to
sawmills and wood processing plants along the Fraser river.
These tiny boats have the ability to turn on a dime and
take water over their decks, making
them highly entertaining to watch, especially
on a rainy afternoon.
I haven't had the privilege to
ride on one yet, it's one of those
adventures that is on my to-do list. My list keeps
getting longer instead of shorter.

Share

2 comments:

Stephanie V said...

I grew up within sight of the Fraser and log booms and tugs were a daily part of my life. I don't remember any this bright, though. Usually a weatherbeaten green or blue.
Nice shot of the working Fraser.

Unknown said...

I always thought that they looked like a lot of fun and wanted to try one too!